Your Extraordinary Saturday (YES)
For 1st – 4th Grade Students
A New Adventure Every Weekend
Your Extraordinary Saturday enables inquisitive, high achieving students in grades 1 - 4 to continue their learning outside of the traditional classroom. Courses are intentionally designed to inspire inquiry, activate imaginations, and engage eager learners in hands on discovery that is not possible within a regular classroom setting. While students are in class, parents are invited to listen to professional speakers on topics related to raising bright children, socialize with other parents, or visit a local coffee shop.
Covid-19 Statement: MITY prioritizes the health and safety of its students and staff and will continue to follow CDC and Minnesota state guidelines for its in-person programs. YES are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated and may be required to show proof of vaccination or a negative test result prior to participating depending on CDC guidelines at the start of each session. Go here to read MITY's full Covid-19 Preparedness Plan.
- Students take 2 unique classes every weekend
- Features content not covered in the regular school day
- Experienced and engaging teachers
- 8:1 student-teacher ratio to ensure all students get the attention they need
- Creative individual and group projects in every class
- Mid-morning snack and game break to socialize with new friends
Partnering with Families
- On the first two Saturdays of each session, MITY offers free seminars from esteemed speakers about topics related to parenting a bright and motivated child.
- YES families are invited to visit classrooms on the third Saturday.
- Specific course information will be given by the teacher during the session. Parents are encouraged to discuss class content and activities with their child.
At A Glance
2022 - 2023
- Fall Session: November 5, 12 and 19, 2022
- Winter Session: January 28, February 4 and 11, 2023
- Spring Session: April 15, 22 and 29, 2023
Program Hours: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Fall Session: Breck School, Golden Valley, MN
- Winter Session: Blake School, Hopkins, MN
- Spring Session: Visitation School, Mendota Heights, MN
Ages: Students currently in grades 1 – 4
Cost: $160 per session; Sibling - $130; Financial Aid Available
- September 1: Applications available for Fall Session
- November 15: Applications available for Winter Session
- February 7: Applications available for Spring Session
- NOTE: MITY accepts applications on a rolling basis
2022-2023 Speakers TBA
Spring Session 2022
April 23: Stealth Dyslexia, ADHD, and Other Learning Differences in Twice Exceptional Students - Dr. Liz Adams
We will explore together some of the most common learning differences among Twice Exceptional students, including Stealth Dyslexia, ADHD, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, and Nonverbal Learning Disability. We'll talk about the following: what they are (symptoms/what to look for), where they come from (brains and genetics), and what to do about them (strengths-based perspective and support strategies).
Bio: Dr. Adams is a board-certified neuropsychologist and owner of Minnesota Neuropsychology. She has been practicing neuropsychology for 14 years, providing assessments for ADHD, dyslexia, gifted/twice exceptional. In clinical work and in teaching, Dr. Adams is known for her down-to-earth, approachable style and her strengths-based approach to learning differences. She enjoys making complex concepts and data accessible and relatable to her clients and students. Dr. Adams is honored to be a part of these organizations: Decoding Dyslexia Minnesota, Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented, International Dyslexia Association - Upper Midwest Branch, and clinical practicum supervisor for the University of Minnesota’s Doctoral Psychology program.
April 30: Learning to Learn in 2022 - Tina Van Erp
Before 2020, we relied on our children’s daily experiences in school, activities and community to develop not only the skills to learn but a positive relationship with learning. The changes in our lives since then and our personal but varied experiences of those changes give us an opportunity to reframe and reconnect to learning, identify skills and strategies to help our children and support them in developing their own mastery of learning. This session provides foundations and strategies to move forward from here.
Bio: Tina Van Erp, M.Ed is a Gifted Learner Coach, Learning Specialist and Teacher Trainer with 20 years of experience working with gifted learners and their families. As The River® Coach, she empowers gifted learners ages 5-92 through knowledge of themselves as a learner, a positive relationship with learning and developing a personal style of self-advocacy.
- "Executive Functioning in Gifted Children" - Jennifer Siebenaler, Gifted and Talent Development Specialist at Cedar Park STEM Elementary
- "Supporting Gifted Students in Schools" - Dr. Melissa Malen, owner of AxyLu Academic Coaching, LLC
- "Intelligence is not Executive Functioning" - Dr. Teresa Boatman, psychologist and president of the Minnesota Council for Gifted and Talented
- "Increasing Engagement and Success Through Creative Expression and Exploration" - Erin Boltik, Ed.S., Director of Gifted and Talented Programs and Services for Bloomington Public Schools
- "Navigating a Gifted Child's Educational Journey: Strategies to Support Parent-Teacher Collaboration" - Dr. Carol Hokanson, Social Emotional Learning Specialist with Mahtomedi Public Schools
What do people say about MITY’s Your Extraordinary Saturday program?
"All smiles and excitement about these Saturdays. We loved our experience!"
"MITY delivers interesting, challenging and growth mindset-based education."
"Your teachers are phenomenal!"
"I wish regular school was this cool!"
"I leave each week excited to come back. It’s awesome!"
"I love my teachers and always have fun."