Expand Your Mind
For Rising 9th-12th Grade Students
A Unique Experience on a College Campus
Our high school program brings together talented students from across the Twin Cities, the nation, and the world for intensive learning and discovery during two 2-week summer sessions. Located on the beautiful campus of Macalester College, MITY challenges students academically while developing leadership skills, instilling self-confidence, and fostering lifelong friendships among like-minded peers.
"MITY is a great opportunity to find yourself and what you love." - 2023 High School Participant
At A Glance
- Session A: June 17 - 28 (M - F)
- Session B: July 8 - 19 (M - F)
- 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Macalester College, St. Paul, MN
Program Cost: 2024 Pricing TBD
- Financial aid is available
- Students take one class per session, encouraging deep exploration into a specific topic of interest
- Meaningful exposure to a college campus that empowers students to get a glimpse of their own post-secondary journey
- Nearly 30 unique course offerings designed specifically for motivated learners
- Exceptional, inspiring teachers
- Small class sizes (each limited to 16 students) to ensure individual attention
- Rec Time, a long-standing midday tradition designed to allow students to try new things and to socialize with a diverse group of peers from around the world
- Commuter and residential options
- Students entering grades 9-12 in the fall
- January 1: Applications available
- May 1: Financial aid offers extended
- MITY has a rolling admissions process, meaning that applications are reviewed as they are received. When a class is full, it is labeled "waitlist" on the website and on the application.
- None (non-refundable deposit required with application)
Studying On A College Campus
MITY students are able to get a meaningful glimpse of post-secondary life while studying on Macalester College’s beautiful campus. They learn in modern classrooms, laboratories and studios, bask in the sun on the commons and experience the power of a liberal arts education as a force for positive change. Macalester attracts learners from around the world and MITY students enjoy the warm, accepting climate that such diversity brings.
Students who choose to reside on campus during the sessions live in a dorm, experience the excitement of having a roommate and eat together in the dining hall. The 53-acre urban campus is small, safe and attractive. Students can gather in the common areas and often walk together to classes. The MITY Office is located near the Student Center.
St. Paul Neighborhood
The winding, tree-lined streets of Macalester’s immediate neighborhood have earned it the nickname “Tangletown” and it is one of St. Paul’s most popular neighborhoods. Unique shops and restaurants, along with plentiful biking and walking paths, make it a fun place to explore!
About Macalester College:
Macalester was founded in 1874 with core beliefs in internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society. Today, its student body represents 97 countries and all 50 of the United States, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands.
Notable alumni include Kofi Annan ’61 (Secretary-General of the United Nations from 1997 to 2006), Danai Gurira ’01 (actress and playwright), Esther Torii Suzuki ’46 (first Japanese-American student at Macalester; her admittance freed her from a WWII-era internment camp), and Walter Mondale ’50 (42nd Vice President of the United States).
The Macalester-Groveland neighborhood was voted the #1 place to live in the Twin Cities. Located just 5 miles from an international airport, students can easily access 16 museums, dozens of theaters and multiple professional sports complexes by bus.
Residency Program Option
MITY’s residential program gives students the opportunity to experience living away from home on a well-respected, safe college campus. Students live together, two students to a room, in Bigelow Hall on the campus of Macalester College. Carefully selected and trained Dorm Supervisors live on each floor with the students and accompany them on all residential program activities.
Evening and weekend activities include things such as field trips to Valleyfair, museums, theaters, the Mall of America, and sporting events as well as bowling, exploration of the local neighborhood, and counselor-led group activities. Evening activities also include MITY traditions such as the Talent Show, MITY Olympics, volleyball, and “Shar-odds” (a.k.a. Charades) competition.
Residential tuition includes all instructional costs, field trips, supervised dorm rooms, meals, entrance fees, transportation for weekend and evening activities, and a MITY t-shirt.
The Rec Program is designed to allow MITY students the chance to get into a different “activity gear” with others in their class and in other classes. It gives students the opportunity to try out new things in a safe and supportive environment, build teamwork and leadership skills, and develop new friendships. Students are free to embrace their true selves, take risks, and experience the true joy of the MITY community. Students call this the “MITY-fine attitude!”
Each day from 12:30 – 1:30 PM, students choose one or two of the many Rec activities that range from beading to ultimate frisbee to chess. There are also special events on several days, including a student talent show! 95% of students report that Rec Time is very important to them!
Students will learn much more about the Rec program on the first day of their session(s), but here is a sampling of what you can expect to experience:
- Class vs. class challenges in soccer, ultimate frisbee, urban bocce ball, haiku, and Shar-oddz (a.k.a. charades)
- The joys (and challenges) of hula hooping and/or “double dutch jump rope”
- Chess tournament
- Trivial Pursuit tournament
- Hunt for the MacDallion
- The MITY Geo (-graphy) Bee
- Lawn games such as KUUB and ladder ball
- The Wacky Track Meet (which is very, very wacky according to some…)
- Frisbee golf
- Decorative beaded jewelry making
- Pool and foosball in the Campus Center
- Talent Show
- Student All-Stars vs. MITY Staffers in urban bocce
- And much, much more!
What do people say about MITY’s Expand Your Mind program?
"MITY is a true treasure in our community. We’re very lucky."
"This program enriches the lives of the children that attend. It’s a real asset to the gifted community in the Twin Cities area and beyond."
"I wanted to share our COMPLETE JOY with your program. It exceeded our expectations on every level: academic, teacher interaction and knowledge, overall environment, and peer interaction."
"MITY is the best thing that ever happened to me!"
"MITY is an engaging and educational program that has taught me so much and has let me experience things that I normally can’t in a classroom."
"Everyone at MITY is accepting and you can embrace your weirdness."
"Teaching at MITY is the highlight of my summer!"
"I love MITY kids – they are motivated, smart, and hungry for more!"
"I love teaching at MITY because we get to fully immerse ourselves into topics that matter to us. The discussions and projects are extraordinary."