EYM Residential Program
- Develop meaningful friendships with like-minded peers from around the world
- Stay in a college dorm for 12 nights
- Enjoy off-campus evening and weekend field trips to sporting events, theater performances, museums, amusement parks, shopping, and more
- Choose from on-campus activities such as ultimate frisbee, volleyball, games, crafts, and more
- Savor delicious meals with friends at Cafe Mac
- Participate in MITY traditions including the MITY Olympics, capture the flag, talent show, and dance party
- Explore Macalester's beautiful campus, one of a handful of selective liberal arts colleges located in a metropolitan area.
- Visit Grand Avenue's abundant restaurants, stores and coffee shops or rent a Nice-Bike and explore the local Tangletown neighborhood.
Students will live in Bigelow Hall in double rooms. A MITY dorm supervisor lives on each hallway. Roommates are assigned in advance using information from a student interest survey. We do our best to pair students from different schools and taking different MITY classes so that they get to meet as many people as possible. We do not accept roommate requests.
Students should arrive at Macalester College between 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. and check-in at Kagin Commons. You will receive your room assignment, key card, room key, Macalester map, and a schedule of evening and weekend events. Students should then walk over to Bigelow Hall and settle into their room. (Note: You can drop your things off at Bigelow before checking in if that’s easier.) It is important that students arrive during the check-in time. All residential students will go to dinner together at 5:00 p.m. and then participate in an evening activity.
Students are dismissed at 2:30 p.m. on the last day of the session following an open house, performances and the closing assembly. Residential students should check out of their dorms between 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Students should be picked up at Bigelow Hall. Students are required to clean up their dorm room, dispose of trash, and return all MITY and Macalester property.
The health and safety of our students is our top priority. After 5:00 p.m. the day of check-in, no one other than the residential students, dorm supervisors and the director will be allowed in any part of the dorm for any reason. This includes family members and friends.
Monday - Friday
*Students are not allowed in the dorms between 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. Breakfast
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Class Time
12:00 - 12:30 p.m. Lunch
12:30 - 1:30 p.m. Rec Activities
1:30 - 4:00 p.m. Class Time
4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Free Time
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Dinner
6:00 - 9:15 p.m. Evening Activities
9:30 p.m. Snack And Check-In
10:30 p.m. Students In Dorm Rooms
Saturday - Sunday
9:00 a.m. Breakfast Available
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 - 8:00 p.m. Field Trips and Activities
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Dinner
Residential students are carefully supervised by specially trained and selected dorm supervisors who look after their safety and well-being and coordinate and lead all activities. Dorm supervisors are generally MITY alumni who loved their own MITY experiences and want to help others have a MITY-fine experience. There is at least one dorm supervisor for every ten students.
Students receive three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) starting with dinner on Sunday evening and going through lunch on the last day of the session. The meals at Café Mac are healthy and delicious, offering many choices for Macalester’s own international community. Café Mac has been committed to “food service for a sustainable future” for decades so you will always find something wonderful to eat!
Residential students are expected to be on time and in class each day and to attend all residential events. Residential students are very busy during the days and evenings, including the weekend. If a student absolutely needs to leave campus during the session, the parent/guardian must contact Erica Brewinski, MITY Director, at least 24 hours prior to being picked up, except for emergencies. Students may only leave and return during MITY office hours, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and must check in and out with the MITY office in Kirk Hall. The only exception to this rule is for a medical emergency. This also applies to the weekend. If a student needs to be gone on Saturday or Sunday, they must leave Friday afternoon and return Monday morning. Thank you for your cooperation.
What To Bring / Not Bring
Linens (one set of sheets, a bath towel, face towel and washcloth) each week; blanket and pillow; one box fan per room; all meals and an evening snack
Items To Bring
- Notebook, writing utensils
- Toiletries & hair dryer (if desired)
- Sun screen and bug spray
- Comfortable, casual clothes; 1 dressier outfit; rain jacket/umbrella
- High quality (N95, KN95, etc.) masks (regardless of vaccination status)
- Water bottle; additional snacks if desired
- Spending money for local coffee shops, stores, etc.
- Cell phones (if desired to use during breaks and in the evening)
Items Not To Bring
- Valuables: MITY is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings
- Game stations
- Vehicles: Students will not be able to use their vehicle during the session, including the weekend. If a students needs to bring a car, a parent/guardian must register the car with the MITY Office and leave the keys with the MITY staff during the session. Cars left overnight must be registered.
Washing machines and dryers are located in the basement of the dorm. Laundry is free but students must provide their own detergent.