Applying to ExplorSchool
MITY seeks applicants who demonstrate both academic talent and a passion for learning. Students must be entering grades 6 – 8 in the fall to be considered for admission. All requested materials (application, report card, teacher recommendation, and student essay) are considered. Students who were accepted to ExplorSchool last summer only need to submit an application and current report card.
- Complete Online Application (not yet available). Remember to apply early as classes fill quickly.
- Submit Required Materials (attach to application or email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Current Transcript / Grades (All Students)
- Short Student Essay: Write a 200-word essay about yourself, why you want to attend MITY and why you want to take the class that you selected. (New Students Only)
- Teacher Recommendation: Send this link (not yet available) to your teacher. They should submit the completed recommendation directly to MITY. (New Students Only)
- Pay Deposit or Submit Financial Aid Form. (see section below) Note: Students not accepted will receive a full refund.
- Acceptance Email from MITY. Once MITY receives the deposit and all materials, you will receive an official confirmation email. Please allow two weeks for MITY to review your completed application.
- Tuition Balance Due May 1. Families will receive a statement via email.
- Complete Health Form (not yet available) by June 1. All students must have a completed health form on file or they will not be allowed to attend class.
Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin in administration of its education policies, admission policies, or financial aid program.
Tuition & Financial Aid
2022 ExplorSchool Tuition Rates
Full Day Tuition: $825 (New Families Receive $100 Discount)
Half Day Tuition: $450 (New Families Receive $50 Discount)
Before OR After Extended Care: $80
Before AND After Extended Care: $150
Tuition includes all instructional costs, field trips and an ExplorSchool t-shirt. A couple of classes have an additional course fee as noted in the class description. Tuition does not include lunch. Students should bring their own nut-free snack and lunch. Juice boxes are available for purchase for 25 cents.
Methods of Payment
1. Check payable to MITY. Please write the student’s name on the memo line. Send the check to our address: 1600 Grand Avenue St. Paul MN, 55105.
2. Pay by credit card using PayPal. You do not need to have a PayPal account. Select the correct item(s) using the drop down menu. NOTE: To add a course fee and/or extended day, select “Continue Shopping” in PayPal before checking out. Please enter the student’s name in the space provided.
There is limited financial aid available for students applying to MITY’s programs. There are two ways to apply for financial aid:
- For Minnesota residents who qualify for free or reduced lunch: You are eligible to apply for the Summer Academic Enrichment Grant offered by the MN Department of Higher Education. You will need to complete the Summer Academic Enrichment Grant Form (not yet available). You will need to include a copy of the free/reduced lunch qualifying letter you received from the student’s school in the fall.
- If you do not qualify for free or reduced lunch: You can apply for financial aid through the MITY giving program. Complete this financial aid form (not yet available). You will need to include the first page of your most recent federal income tax statement.
All applications must include a deposit of $300 or a completed financial aid application. $100 of the deposit is non-refundable.
- After April 1, the full deposit of $300 is non-refundable.
- The balance is due by May 1. After May 15, there is no refund of tuition.
- If MITY cancels a course before it begins, students will be placed into their second-choice class.
- Refunds are not provided once a session begins.
- In the unlikely event that MITY terminates a course during the session, MITY will consider the circumstances and may, at its sole discretion, issue a partial refund or credit.