Applying to ExplorSchool
MITY seeks applicants who demonstrate both academic talent and a passion for learning. Students must be entering grades 6 – 8 in the fall to be considered for admission. All requested materials (application, report card, teacher recommendation, and student essay) are considered. Students who were accepted to ExplorSchool last summer only need to submit an application, current report card and deposit.
- Complete Online Application. Remember to apply early as classes fill quickly.
- Submit Required Materials (upload with application or email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Current Transcript / Grades (All Students)
- Paragraph: Write a 200-word paragraph introducing yourself and stating why you want to attend MITY and why you want to take the classes that you selected. (Required if you were not accepted to MITY in summer 2022.)
- Teacher Recommendation: Send this link to your teacher. They should submit the completed recommendation directly to MITY. (Required if you were not accepted to MITY in summer 2022.)
- Pay Deposit for Each Session or Submit Financial Aid Form (see below). This can be done when submitting the application or by using the link below. Note: Students not accepted will receive a full refund.
- Acceptance Email from MITY. Once MITY receives the deposit and all materials, you will receive an official confirmation email. Please allow two weeks for MITY to review your completed application.
- Tuition Balance Due May 1. Families will receive a statement via email.
- Complete Health Form by June 1. All students must have a completed health form on file or they will not be allowed to attend class.
Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin in administration of its education policies, admission policies, or financial aid program.
Tuition & Financial Aid
2023 Tuition Rates
$100 Discount If Attend Both Sessions
$100 Discount For New Families ($50 Discount for Half Day)
Session A Tuition: Full Day: $750; Half Day: $410
Session B Tuition: Full Day: $825; Half Day: $450
Before OR After Extended Care: $80
Before AND After Extended Care: $150
Tuition includes all instructional costs, field trips and a MITY t-shirt. A couple of classes have an additional course fee as noted in the class description. Tuition does not include lunch. Students should bring their own nut-free snack and lunch. Juice boxes are available for purchase for 50 cents.
There is limited financial aid available for students applying to MITY’s programs. There are two ways to apply for financial aid:
- For Minnesota Residents Who Qualify For Free Or Reduced Lunch: You are eligible to apply for the Summer Academic Enrichment Grant offered by the MN Department of Higher Education. You will need to complete the Summer Academic Enrichment Grant Form. You will need to include a copy of the free/reduced lunch qualifying letter you received from the student’s school in the fall.
- If You Do Not Qualify For Free Or Reduced Lunch: You can apply for financial aid through the MITY giving program. Complete this financial aid form. You will need to include the first page of your most recent federal income tax statement.
Methods Of Payment
1. Go Here To Pay Now By Credit/Debit Card Or PayPal. Please include class fees if required as well as extended care if needed.
2. Send A Check Payable To MITY. Please write the student’s name on the memo line. Send the check to our address: 1600 Grand Avenue St. Paul MN, 55105.
All applications must include a deposit of $300 or a completed financial aid application. $100 of the deposit is non-refundable.
- After April 1, the full deposit of $300 is non-refundable.
- The balance is due by May 1. After May 15, there is no refund of tuition.
- If MITY cancels a course before it begins, students will be placed into their second-choice class.
- Refunds are not provided once a session begins.
- In the unlikely event that MITY terminates a course during the session, MITY will consider the circumstances and may, at its sole discretion, issue a partial refund or credit.