Rising 5-7th graders
Your summer of discovery awaits
MITY’s ExplorSchool is a full-day, two-week summer experience for students about to enter 5th, 6th and 7th grade. These students are motivated and are in search of exciting intellectual challenges. ExplorSchool provides students the chance to dive deeper into their favorite topics; From acting to chemistry, mock trials to robotics, and environmental studies to studio art.
This program provides students:
- Half-day, Full-day and extended day options
- Full-day students receive a selection from two classes (one morning, one afternoon);
- Exceptional teachers who are inspiring and enthusiastic;
- Small class sizes (limited to 16 students) ensure individual attention so each student feels welcomed to learn;
- Field trips to exciting places
- Unique and experiential classroom activities help students stay excited about learning;
- Opportunities for students to socialize with other children who love to learn;
- Family involvement: ExplorSchool families are invited to visit classrooms on the last day of the session.
Tuition for Explorschool is $650 and includes all instructional costs, field trips and an ExplorSchool t-shirt. Exception: there is a $50 fee for students taking Minecraft. It does not include lunch. Students should bring their own lunch and snacks. They can purchase juice boxes for 25-cents.
ExplorSchool has a competitive application process which includes submission of student’s grades, a teacher recommendation and a student essay. Students in ExplorSchool take 2 courses, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. The application is reviewed for the particular course to which the student is applying. MITY seeks applicants who demonstrate both academic talent and a passion for learning. All the requested materials are considered. Students who are rising 5th, 6th, and 7th graders are considered for admission.
- Teacher recommendation form
- 200 word essay about yourself
- Current grades/report card
Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin in administration of its education policies, admission policies, or financial aid program.
ExplorSchool Tuition Payments
Tuition $650 (full-day)
Tuition $375 (1/2 day)
Tuition includes all instructional costs, field trips and an ExplorSchool t-shirt. Exception: there is a $50 fee for students taking Minecraft. It does not include lunch. Students should bring their own lunch and snacks. They can purchase juice boxes for 25-cents.
Method of Payment
1. If you pay by check, make the check payable to MITY. Please write the students name on the memo line. Send the check to our address below.
2. You can pay by credit card using the PayPal link below. You do not need to have a PayPal account. Please enter your child’s name in the space by the PayPal link below.
New Cancellation Policy
All applications must include a deposit of $300 ($500/residential) or a completed financial aid application. One hundred dollars of the deposit is non-refundable. After March 31, the full deposit of $300 is non-refundable. The balance of $350 is due by June 1. After June 1, this is no refund of tuition.
There is limited financial aid available for students applying to one of MITY’s summer programs. There are two ways to apply for financial aid:
For students who qualify for free or reduced lunch you are eligible to apply for the Summer Academic Enrichment Grant offered by the MN Department of Higher Ed. You will need to complete the Summer Academic Enrichment Grant Form. You will also need to include a copy of the free/reduced lunch qualifying letter you received from your child’s school in the fall.
If you do not qualify for free or reduced lunch you can apply for financial aid through the MITYgiving program. Complete the financial aid form and return to the MITY office along with the first page of your 2015 or 2016 federal tax statement.
Please note that financial aid is limited and is awarded in early April.
June 19 – June 30, 2017
8:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. Morning Class
11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Lunch and Rec Time
12:45 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Afternoon Class
Health Form: All Explor students must have a completed health form on file in the MITY office before a student can attend MITY.
What to Bring: Students do not need to bring supplies to class. Students should bring a snack and lunch; they can purchase a juice box for 25- cents.
Drop-off & Pick-up: Students should be dropped off in front of the school no earlier than 8:15 a.m., unless they are in extended day. At 4:00 p.m. all students, except those in extended day, will be at the front door to be picked up.
Carpool Information: In May you will receive information with a list families, and contact information, who have indicated an interested in carpooling on application form. Families can then contact other families to arrange carpools. The list will be sorted by zip code.
Extended Day: Extended day is available for our families in the morning from 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. and after school from 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. The cost is $50 for before- and $50 for after- school care, or $90 for both. Please sign up for extended day on the application form. Students may only sign up for extended day for the entire session; we do not have drop-in available.
Arrival on day 1:Students should arrive at 8:15 a.m. on the first day and go directly to an assembly – parents are also invited. There will be someone at the door to direct families. There will be a short program and introductions. At the end of the program students will be dismissed by class with their teacher, who will walk them to their classroom. After day 1, students will go directly to their classroom at 8:30 am.
Last Day of the Session: All families will receive a schedule for the last day of the program. Families and friends will have an opportunity to visit their child’s classrooms.
Evaluations: At the end of each session students will receive an evaluation from their teacher. This evaluation will be sent to your home address.
MITY History and Emergency Medical Authorization Form
Once you have been accepted to the MITY program you will need to submit a health form. This form must be completed annually.
Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth Code of Conduct for MITY students
At MITY we want all students to feel safe and enjoy a positive learning and social environment. To ensure this experience, MITY students are expected to adhere to the highest standards of good citizenship, honesty, and integrity in their academic work and in their personal conduct. MITY’s Code of Conduct outlines expectations and rules for all students in the MITY community. Please read the following statements. You will be asked to sign the Health Form stating that you agree to follow this Code during your stay.
- MITY students are expected to show courtesy and respect for their fellow students, for MITY staff members and for Macalester College’s (or St. Paul Academy and Summit School) personnel. MITY students are expected to follow the instructions of the MITY staff and school personnel.
- MITY students shall not take part in or facilitate discrimination of any kind, including, but not limited to, discrimination based on gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, handicap, or intelligence.
- MITY students are expected to show respect for and take reasonable care of the property, including their residences, dining areas, classrooms, and other facilities, equipment and furnishings.
- MITY students are expected to respect the belongings of others. They shall not borrow, use, or disturb items belonging to other students, MITY staff or school staff without clear prior permission.
- MITY students shall not use, possess, or distribute alcohol, tobacco, or drugs, at any time during the session. This includes any off campus activities. Students who violate this rule will be sent home immediately. Parents should notify the MITY office if it is necessary for a student to carry with them any medication.
- MITY students shall not commit acts of violence on persons or property, nor shall they threaten to commit any act of violence either verbally, in writing or electronically.
- MITY students shall not engage in any form of sexual harassment. Sexual harassment includes sexual conduct, or conduct with sexual overtones, which has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive learning or social environment.
- MITY students are expected to know and to follow all rules presented by the staff during the program for all activities both on and off campus.
- MITY staff reserves the right to determine if disciplinary action is necessary for not obeying the rules outlined above.